Unit of competency:
Light Rigid Vehicle:
A Light Rigid vehicle is a vehicle more than 4.5 tones but not more than 8 tonnes GVM or which seats more than 12 people (including the driver).
This course is designed to train drivers to a competent standard in both theory and practical, which will enable them to pass the relevant VicRoads testing criteria for theory, skills and practical driving in the category of Light Rigid Licence.
Drivers participating in this course must have held a Victorian Car Licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
5 or 8 hours (Depending on Experience).
Theory, Road law and General Driving Tips to prepare for the LR Assessment
- Pre Operational Checks
- 90 Degree Turns
- Following Distance
- Highway Driving
- System of Vehicle Control
- Lane Management
- Maintaining safe speed/safe gap
- Gear Selection
- Correct use of accessories
- Braking Distance
- Load Restraint
- Cabin Inspection
Resources: Own Vehicle
- Theory Test
- Drive Assessment
- Skills Assessment (Reverse Test, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection & Load Restraint)
Ratio: Student/Instructor Ratio 1:1
- Applicants on Prescribed Medication or with a Medical Condition may require a medical clearance from VicRoads prior to commencement.
- Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from VicRoads stating licence category eligible.
- Clearance from VicRoads may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.
* VicRoads criteria will not allow training on international licences (except NZ). Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.
Course duration/costs do not guarantee students will sit the on road licence test. To be eligible to test, students MUST first meet VicRoads criteria. If criteria are NOT met students will not be able to undergo the on road test and will continue to train for the duration of the course. Additional costs will apply if students book subsequent training and/or testing.
|Experienced (5 hrs)||$675.00|
|Extreme Novice (8hrs) – One Day||$1,090.00|
|Novice Course ( 9 -10 hrs – 2 pp) – One Day||$1,600.00|
|Heavy Vehicle Retest|
|Load Restraint Retest||$50.00|
|(On Road) Drive Retest||$200.00|
|(Off Road) One Reverse Retest||$150.00|
|(Off Road) Both Reverse Retest||$150.00|
|Hourly Training (Minimum 2 hrs for weekdays, Minimum 4 hrs for weekends)|
|Heavy Vehicle (MR, HR, HC & MC) per hour||$135.00|
|Assessment Fee (this can only be offered in conjunction with training)||$270.00|
|Weekend Fee (Applied per person, per day)||15%|
|Verbal Theory Test||$75.00|
|Re-issue Certificate / SOA||$50.00|
|Licence Fee (Payable at VicRoads)||$29.70|