Unit of Competency:
Heavy Combination Vehicle:
A Heavy Combination vehicle is:
a) A prime move to which is attached a single semi-trailer that has a GVM more than 9 tonnes plus any unladen converter dolly; or
b) A rigid motor vehicle to which is attached a trailer that has a GVM more than 9 tonnes plus any unladen converter dolly.
This course is designed to train drivers to a competent standard, which will enable them to pass the relevant VicRoads testing criteria, skills and practical driving in the category of Heavy combination.
Drivers participating in this course must have held a Current MR or HR Licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
TDT offers a course duration of 8, 12 or 13 hours (depending on experience) which includes Training and Testing using a non-synchromesh gearbox (18 speed Road Ranger).* TDT also offer Day Courses using an Auto Shift gearbox.
Hourly training is also available upon request.
Student/Instructor Ratio 1:1
- Applicants on Prescribed Medication or with a Medical Condition may require medical Clearance from VicRoads prior to commencement.
- Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from VicRoads stating licence category eligible.
- Clearance from VicRoads may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.
* VicRoads criteria will not allow training on international licences (except NZ). Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.
Course Content: Theory and Practical
- Road Law General
- Driving tips
- Pre-operational checks
- Lane Management
- Braking distance
- Forward offset manoeuvres
- Gear Selection
- Fuel efficiency/economy driving
- 90-degree turns
- System of Vehicle Control
- Following distance
- Uncoupling – Coupling
- Correct use of accessories
- Highway driving
- Maintaining safe speed/gap
- Cabin Inspection
- Load restraint
- Drive Assessment
- Skills Assessment (Reverse & Coupling, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection and Load Restraint)
Course duration/costs do not guarantee students will sit the on road licence test. To be eligible to test, students MUST first meet VicRoads criteria. If criteria are NOT met students will not be able to undergo the on road test and will continue to train for the duration of the course. Additional costs will apply if students book subsequent training and/or testing.
|Heavy Combination (NON SYNCHRO / AUTO)||Price|
|Industry Experienced (8 hrs) - One Day||$1,290.00|
|Novice (12hrs) – 12 hrs over 2 days (2 x 6 hrs) or 1 & half days (8hrs & 4 hrs) or 3 days (3 x 4 hrs)||$1,590.00|
|Heavy Vehicle Retest|
|Load Restraint Retest||$50.00|
|(On Road) Drive Retest||$280.00|
|(Off Road) One Reverse Retest||$150.00|
|(Off Road) Both Reverse Retest||$150.00|
|Hourly Training (Minimum 3 hrs for weekdays, Minimum 4 hrs for weekends)|
|Heavy Vehicle (MR, HR, HC & MC) per hour||$140.00|
|Assessment Fee (this can only be offered in conjunction with training)||$350.00|
|Weekend Fee (Applied per person, per day)||15%|
|Verbal Theory Test||$70.00|
|Re-issue Certificate / SOA||$50.00|
|Licence Fee (Payable at VicRoads)||$31.50|